About Me

40ties, 3 children, full time work, little time.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Islam Online

I have been spending days on Middle East Crisis and Middle East in general as well as getting side tracked on issues of Women and women's rights in Islam. I made my acquintance with two guys: one, Tarik Ramadan, who is a very good looking modernising islamic scholar with ability to be seriously oblique in his writing. He is a grandchild of the founder member of Muslim Brotherhood (conservative islamic religeous and social movement from the thirties, started in Egipt). The other is Yufus al-Quaradawi, who runs website Islam Online, is famous for being a quest of Ken Livingstone in 2004, and supporting kamikadze palestinian bombers. I have been impressed with two things: one, the number of websites supporting Israel which pretend to be objective, and number of websites run by muslims for muslims which are verymuch "They do what it says on the packet". I have also been slightly paranoid since sending money for a medical aid for palestinins - what if someone will diclare it a terrorism supporting organisation and I will get into trouble for helping? And what if my service provider is quietly checking all websites I visited for forbidden word combinations like Middle east islam invasion aperthait muslim and israel? What if my my visit to Wikipedia for entry on Dair Yussuf massacre is considered a sign of my radicalision ? Not for nothing I was brought up in communist Poland. The healthy paranoia is grafted in my bones. I was so proud of being in England. I felt free. I no longer do so. No I don't think anyone will burst here tomorrow for writing this blog or for surfing internet. No, I'm not worried about tomorrow; but for the next 5-10 years - definately. Todays surfing may be recognised as god knows what in the new wave of MacCarthism that I feel in my bones will come.

No comments: